Help through the Good Neighbours groups is open to everyone in their community. However, we often help older people, frequently providing assistance over a longer period of time. Our groups are trained to work safely with vulnerable adults but we are particularly aware of the needs of people living with dementia in our communities. The network is a member of the Hampshire Dementia Action Alliance and support the awareness programme, Dementia Friends. We have run successful Dementia Friends Learning Cafes and periodically offer the Dementia Friends programme throughout the year.
Five things we believe about dementia (courtesy of the Alzheimer’s Society)
- Dementia is not a natural part of the ageing process.
- Dementia is caused by diseases of the brain.
- It is not just about losing your memory.
- It is possible to live well with it.
- THERE IS MORE TO THE PERSON THAN THE DEMENTIA.